January 21, 2008 by Stephen
Anyway, I love birthdays! I especially have enjoyed the last few because the girls get excited about my birthday almost as much as I do! I always look forward to getting drawings and cards from the girls, getting birthday cards in the mail, opening my presents, eating some delicious ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins, and spending a nice evening out with Randa. And in keeping with today’s technology, it’s also been nice to get birthday greetings on Facebook and MySpace.
Awhile back, I came across a link to a site that will show you the number 1 song on the Billboard chart for any given day. The number 1 song the day I was born was “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head” by B.J. Thomas – a classic! Check the song out here. (HT: Marko)
Here’s me at 38! And here’s my great cake (chocolate cake with cookies ‘n cream ice cream)!
I don’t really make New Year’s resolutions, but I usually decide to work on a few goals for the coming year when I celebrate my birthday. This year I thought I’d put some goals down in writing (so to speak). So, here are my goals for my 39th year:
- Spend more time with God (especially in scripture, prayer, and silence)
- Be a better husband to Randa (be less selfish and more loving)
- Be a better father to Annie, Allison, and Ainsley (spend quality one-on-one time with each one on a regular basis: ‘dad-and-daughter dates’)
- Grow as a youth and children’s pastor (minister to and with volunteers, parents, and children; help others discover and use their gifts; grow our groups spiritually and numerically)
- Lose weight, exercise more, and eat a healthy diet
- Deepen and grow my friendships
- Read more books
- Blog more regularly
- Develop a new hobby
- Go somewhere new on vacation this year
- See more of DC this year
Here’s to a great ride on this adventure we call life!
In addition to today being my birthday, it is also the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. Below is the famous speech he gave at the Lincoln Memorial. It’s always good on this day to stop and reflect on what this day is really supposed to be about.