Caps: Heartbreak and Hope?1
May 21, 2012 by Stephen
The Caps lost their Eastern Conference semifinal series with the New York Rangers two Saturdays ago (May 12). It was a gut-wrenching Game 7 loss. And, it was another year in which the Caps did not advance past the Conference semis. It’s disappointing. They have talent, but for whatever reason they seem to not play well in the playoffs. This year they seemed to play a little better in the playoffs after switching coaches and playing styles in a disappointing regular season that saw them barely qualify for the playoffs. The difference this year? It wasn’t an automatic thought that they would lose in the playoffs – you really thought they had a chance to win!
I think we can be hopeful for the future. Here’s why:
- They still have talented players. They’ll probably lose some in free agency, but they’ll also pick up a few pieces as well.
- They have a great young goalie in Braden Holtby.
- They play a style of hockey now that is suited for winning playoff games.
- They will get a new coach who can build on the progress made in the second half of last season and the playoffs. (I know – I might be overly optimistic here.)
- They can’t go backwards, can they?
My team the Pittsburgh Penguins didn’t make it pass the first round of the playoffs. We were thinking what’s up with that. We have talent. Sid was back. We have new arena. I feel your pain. Next year! ! !
BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!